Monday, February 20, 2006

Oleanna

This 1994 movie is anything than interesting. I mean, from the point of view of ordinary souls. The whole story revolves on the dialogue between two people on the screen - yes, for the whole 80+ minutes - Carol and her professor John.

This movie was assigned to us for our Legal Principles. It is based on a play - that is why it is theatrical in its make-up. Although it was adapted for movie showing, 90% of the play remained. Actually, I was waiting for something extraordinary to happen and all - like a courtcase in the middle or even the end of the film - but it didn't materialize. Perhaps, for the producers, the original hauntingness of the play should be made in tacked.

The movie features something about a looming court case - similar to what could be sexual harassment today. In the setting - and the genre - of the story, the law on sexual harassment has not been drafted yet.

We have in that film an honest - or so I think - professor, who may be at the brink of failure. All because he cared too much to the point of stupidity. What disturbs me is that I was a lot like this guy - professor John - I mean. I used to tutor my students - and they are mostly girls - who would even go to my house. There was even a time when the student was alone with me in my house. It's just that these students of mine were not Carols. But it's a thought. What if?

I am also a lot like John. I mean in many ways. I would be too poetic at times, and would go down to the level of understanding of the kids to the point of appearing like your average nonconformist rebel-turned-cool-hero. All in the spirit of trying to win them over. But it's dangerous. What you say can be held against you. Whew. At least that did not result into a problem. Not yet.

I will make my reflections on the movie/play in the coming days.

The DVD was courtesy of DLSU - Manila. And Andy's burner. Gosh. I could be sued, right? Just a joke. On the burner.

"Yeah, that's right."

No comments:

Battle Stations

Come and be a part of the Battle Stations!