Saturday, January 21, 2006

Atty. Jocelyn Cruz

I never appreciate it enough but I am quite blessed as a person. I mean, look at the things that are happening to me right now. I started in the bank from the bottom and managed to become an officer - an accountant in seven years. In our place it's that hard to be an officer unlike BPI or UCPB. Plus the fact that I did not finish accounting.

When I decided to change careers and became an educator, I was also successful. I mean, the students love me and I became a principal in three years.

My school right now is not that good, but come to think of it, it made me realize things that I ought not to do.

Then, I came to DLSU. And it somehow made me more confident to be the person that I am. It's something that makes me feel competent and feel effective not only as a leader in education but as a person. The traces of inferiority from my high school days have completely gone now.

One of the things I am thankful for in La Salle are my professors. They are top of the line. I mean, I have not seen any one who's not competent in his/her field. They are gods of education, I tell you.

There was Dr. Habulan, Dr. Bago, Dr. Bumatay, Dr. Muñoz of course (the angel of education), Dr. Evangelista, our priest-like Dr. (Kuya) Voc. And then, this morning....there was Dr. Cruz. My God. She is Super!!! I mean, she literally kept us awe-struck for the whole three hours. The last time that happened to me was when I was in professional education with Dr. Magno. He made me pursue educational management.

What I learned with Dr. Cruz was that we have to love the law in order to be secure in our dealings. We have to be safe rather than be sorry in the end. Knowledge of the law makes us better equip in whatever position we have. And that makes me feel proud of my education in La Salle. I mean, in America I noticed that most teachers are afraid because of legal concerns. That's because they are not knowledgeable with the law. Here in the Philippines, it's the same. What is worse is that even administrators don't know that they are liable for things they don't even know. Hence, it's more of a preventive measure like in health. In health, we say that an ounce of prevention is better than a pound of cure. In law, it's the same. It's better to be safe than sorry in court...or worse, in jail.

I know that after this, I probably would end up reading more things but it's ok. An ounce of law can keep the lawsuits away.

Cheers to Dr. Cruz! You mentioned about the speaker in Hawaii who taught you one on one for two hours. That message and flame was shared to your audience today. Most of us will tread different paths but we will hold your image as a reminder of where we should be - the best place we could.

Hey, it's only our first meeting. Imagine that.

No comments:

Battle Stations

Come and be a part of the Battle Stations!