Monday, January 09, 2006

Coming to America

Last night, after watching this movie about a Chinese boy and an Indian boy (I think it's about those other-than-white-in-America thing), I turned to HBO and "Conspiracy Theory" was showing. So I reviewed that - till the end. I was about to shut off the TV - by God it's already 10:45PM by then I guess - but Coming to America will follow. Let's see, I told myself, just some scenes. Eddie Murphy, Arsenio Hall, Darth Vader (James Earl Jones), Cuba Gooding Jr (was there!), and wait Samuel Jackson? Where was he there? Hence, I watch until Samuel Jackson came up - but it was like at the half already and anyways, I got so many hours of nap that afternoon, so what the heck even if it's Monday the next day and all. In all, the movie was like an hour and a half or so. So I finally turned it off at 1:30 AM. Hence, today as I type these 3rd Quarter exams (for standardization purposes...awright! they don't know how to, ok? and I got to type my blogger here...) I am completely sleepy. Like Rosebud (did you know that it was the true name of Sleeping Beauty? yeah I know, I am a guy ok. I just want to show off a bit) and the rest of the kingdom.
The movie was from the 80s and the greased hair of Darryl doesn't fit anymore, but there is something about that movie that made me watch it till the wee hours (for the working me).
What I like about that movie
1. No sexual implication. It was clean fun. Of course there were the sexy dancers from Zamunda, during the presentation of the proposed queen but that's that. I don't know if they cut it. Anyways, even if there is, it is never the focus. Even kids can watch it, if they like of course.
2. The combination of Arsenio Hall and Eddie Murphy was awesome. I don't really like Arsenio on his own, especially during the time when he had this solo comedy act thing like Letterman. But here, his antics were minimal so it was fine. I liked it when they showed the characters and actually found out that - again, because I already watched this movie ten plus ago - the minister was Arsenio (I liked his portrayal there) and the band singer was Eddie Murphy. And also the white person at the bar who was a fan of Rocky Marciano. I did not see that coming. I mean, really. The super ugly girl (those were close to their words at the roll in the end) who looked like Dennis Rodman was of course Arsenio. They should have done this a lot. I mean, Eddie did these things again in Nutty right? But I guess never again with Arsenio.
3. I like the part when the fat attendant said "We are not there yet, your majesty" - when Eddie Murphy and his bride were already kissing.
4. I love the attitude of Hakeem. How many of us will do that? Arsenio's role was already unusual, but understandable. It is understandable for him to be patient with work and all because he was serving the prince. But the prince's attitude all through out, his child-like curiosity of things, his positive disposition, and the way he expresses himself, it was like the Dalai Lama himself. Makes you want to remember G, the movie of Eddie Murphy also. For the negative people, this will amount to idealism, or worse, an unrealistic role.
What I don't like about the film.
1. Who was the beautiful girl who was with them the whole time? I mean, is she just a server in the palace? I thought that in the end, Arsenio will end up with her or something but it never did. Her role is somewhat obscure.
2. I don't like the switch of personality of Dad McDowell from serious, God-fearing, daughter-loving, straight guy and dad to a money-lover, status-seeking jerk. Of course, it was fun and all but it's way too much. Perhaps it's just part of the comedy.
3. I wish they just stucked with McDonald's instead of mentioning it over and over. Like the boy that shot pictures and all just to show that McDonald's is running after them and all - I don't see the point. Perhaps, it's an 80s thing or something. Or perhaps, they just want to parody McDonald's. Or those people who imitate. Or better, they just want to make McDowell just a regular entrepreneur who is not that rich - to avoid complications.
4. I hate the dance number of the sister Patricia (?) and even the mini. Surely an 80s thing but it's disgusting after twenty years. There are dance steps that will still be ok even after a thousand years - like the one from I'm Singing In the Rain, and Moulin Rogue (hey, it's not because of...ok, it's because of Nicole Kidman).
5. They should have not inserted that sister ending up with Daryll. I mean, Daryll soaked from the rain knocking on the door, and her sister opens the door... and.... It's a lot of crap really. Where are they living anyway? What's his business going to that place? It wasn't coming and all - Daryll should have been depicted as a person who likes to fool around and all, if this will make meaning. But it's pointless. It only made the sister look cheap.
6. The march of the bride is already a give-away. It had to be her. Then, pop McDowell comes out from hiding with big smiles and all - what a crap. Not being creative.
This would have been a better ending:
(right after the scene where the Queen mother says "Hey I thought you're the king" - insinuating that the king should change the traditions.)
Hakeem returned to the palace and he is depicted lying on the couch or something. Queen comes in trying to appease him, she looks straight and all - while Hakeem is gloomy as death. She says to Hakeem, I hope you have learned the ways of the kingdom etc. how to accept and fight for your destiny. etc. Then, she says, do you want to speak with your bride? Before the wedding, she continues. Hakeem's face doesn't change and all and he was still lying there and nods a bit. Queen mother exits and a girl comes from behind - perhaps wearing the same dress of the supposed bride. Then, it will come to a point when Hakeem will try to talk to her but he is just there on the couch and all not looking at her and the bride is depicted as massaging him. He tries to tell her that he met a girl in America and he wants her to be his bride. The girl is just nodding and her face is not showing - and he will just be hearing her say "I know, I know", then he looks at the mirror and sees the reflection of his true love. and that's it. The wedding would be cut perhaps. Just the throwing of flowers and the cheering of people. What will be missing is the long kiss of Hakeem and the girl, with the insistence of the fat attendant that "majesty we have not reached that part yet". That was hilarious by the way. Ok, their ending was better. Happy?
In a scale of 1 to 10, how would I rate the movie?
This is my rubric:
10 - A+ - One for the Oscars or the Best Films of all time
9 - A - Unforgettable, makes you want to repeat it again. A must-see movie
8 - A- Almost perfect, a very good movie.
7 - B+ - A good movie
6 - B - An entertaining movie
5 - B- A barely entertaining movie
4 - C+ An inadequate movie3 - C A shallow movie with unthought out parts
2 - C- Almost forgettable movie.
1 - D A forgettable movie. A must-not-see movie
0 - F Horrible. Only for the dogs.

I rate this movie 7.5/10

No comments:

Battle Stations

Come and be a part of the Battle Stations!