Saturday, January 07, 2006

I have done something you've never done

This is my answer to the discussion forum in dlsu on legal matters in education

hope no one is watching...he he... (Psycho background)
Talking about "something one has done that no one else in the class has done" amazes me. I mean, it's like you're reading through writeups of convicts. Hehe. Anyways, I have done a lot of things that normal people don't do simply because I wanted to be different from everybody. I grew up in a private school ran by Dominicans in San Juan. It's a place of rich people so I don't fit in. Like everyday in class my classmates would bring robots of Voltes V and it was only in grade 4 or 5 that I realized that it's read as five and not V. God those were the shameful days. That's the reason why I grew up feeling I have to be different in order to be the best. This I took even when I grew up.
So that, I learned how to play the guitar while other boys play basketball. I learned to write songs while they ride bicycles and skateboards. I learned to write poems, sonnets and short stories and what-have-you while the other boys go swimming and courting girls. Until now, I don't know how to swim, ride bicycles, and skateboard. I still don't play basketball. I still don't court girls. Uhurmm.. that might be an exception.
Nonconformism for might be just a personality trait (thanks, Kay) or a disorder of sorts, something I haven't fulfilled in the Freudian or Erikson stages. It's like imagining yourself as a crossover between James Dean and John Lennon. Or Che Gueverra, even St. La Salle, who hated the conventionalism of only the rich can have education.
Anyways, something that I did that I hope you never did:
1. I had a punk rock band back in the 90s. For some time, we played in some places - not so many of them because I was also working then in the bank. We also recorded a musical album called Overdue. It's a compilation of ten of my written songs with my brother. My brother still play in a band called Blister. This time they will be famous because I am not with them anymore.
2. I wrote more than 700 songs with my brother back in the 90s, all of them are still with him. They are nothing but angst of forgotten dreams and lost childhood. Lord Byron once said that the most beautiful music comes from a broken heart. The last song I wrote was back in 2001 - before I got married.
3. I also wrote short stories, which I plan to publish later - I said this already back in the 90s - called The Old Woman In The Churchyard and Other Stories.
4. I wrote a treatise called Summary on Traditionalism, a syllogistic treatise on the faith (Summa Fidei), which I wrote as a response to the Open Letter to Confused Catholics - a book by the former Archbishop Lefebvre, a schismatic leader in Econe, France. I submitted this to the Divine Word Seminary, and they offered me scholarship to be a priest. That was in 1995 when I was just 24. I plan to publish it later - na naman.
5. I changed career from banking to academe and was successful on both. I was already an officer, an accountant in my former bank - and I wasn't even a CPA. Then, I shifted careers (because I wanted to go to Canada but they told me it is better to pursue a path related to Mathematics - my undergrad course) and became a principal in three years time. To think that all I wanted was three years of teaching experience. And here I am now almost finish with my MA in Education.
6. I wanted to include getting 4s in all my master's courses but I know most of you have done it.
Come to think of it, this is the superman syndrome Nietzsche was referring to. Because I have this inferiority complex back then, I struggled and get past to it, and now think I am better than everybody else. But of course, I don't think that way of my classmates and professors in LaSalle. It's just a way to pacify yourself of many inferiority thoughts. Sometimes, the result is doing a lot of things you never really finish through and through. Like the jack-of-all-trades-master-of-none tagline. Anyways, these are my thoughts about myself. This is very helpful to me, like a trip into my inner sanctum of psyche. Thanks, doctor.

No comments:

Battle Stations

Come and be a part of the Battle Stations!